Today I made a little test tour to Lübeck. 69 km to have some ice cream at the Holstentor.
162 km in total at a 25.4 km/h average. Total consumption was 1300 Wh plus change or 7.9 wh/km. Still had maybe 8-10 km worth of power left in the second battery when I arrived back home but had battery chargers with me in case I run ‘out of gas’.
I had a nice day.
My Satiator 608 charger arrived yesterday. I got a unit from the pilot batch at discount price for beta testing.
Image: Grin Tech
It looks great and feels very well made and rugged. Setting up new charging profiles is painless, despite having only two buttons. Naming the new profiles is not possible yet, but there is a profile editor software in developement (for Mac, Win, Linux) that will take care of that. I think Justin mentioned firmware updaters for all three operation systems as well. Right now it’s Windows only.
My charger arrived with firmware 0.808, today I updated to FW 0.814 that addresses some minor bugs. That process went absolutely painless. This may be still a product running on beta firmware but it sure doesn’t feel that way.
So far the Satitor 608 is charging fine and totally noiseless.
the old light is temporary fixed to the nose with some Terostat IX sealant
Some things got tweaked since I made the images. The Cycle Analyst is under the stem now and not behind it anymore for instance… :D
The new B&M IQ Cyo 75 volt front light is already on its way and will be mounted into the nose (if I can find my hole cutter…).
…as it happens the packet with the IQ Cyo was already waiting for me at my neighbour. Since it’s so tiny I will order a second one and mount them to each side of the nose, I think. No need to find the hole cutter.
The ICE Sprint got a bunch of repairs and updates the last couple of weeks to get back in good riding condition.
It started with a new Shimano XT derailleur a couple of weeks ago, then I ordered the MXUS 1307 hub motor, a short 155mm Durabi 400 crank set, 65 tooth chain ring, new chain, chain tubes and 9 speed freewheel, new torque arm, new 90mm drum brake hubs, new 40mm wide rims, 55mm wide Big Ben tires, 20″ front wheel covers…
Actually, except pedals and bottom bracket, the whole drive train is new.
While on a spending spree already I ordered the Hornit, the Cycle Analyst V3, two 37V/11.2Ah LiMn battery’s Schwibsi build from Sony Konion US18650 V3 cells on a Sunday afternoon (!) for me, Grin Techs Cycle Satiator 608 charger and finally the rather affordable recumbent nose cone fairing from Ebay that interested me for months (especially while getting soaking wet when riding in heavy rain…).
The Sprint more or less complete, except new mounts for the front light and Cycle Analyst. The bag on the front boom, a VAUDE Silkroad S, contains the battery.
Top speed at 84V (both freshly charged 37V battery’s in series) is, like Grin Techs Ebike Simulator predicted, just under 70 km/h by about 30 km range without fairing. With a lighter hand on the throttle I managed just under 15 Wh/km in total on my 40km commute the other day. I hope that figure might change with the nose fairing.
My old 37V LiMn battery is ripped into pieces right now to be rearranged into two 18.5V/11Ah battery packs. Together with the two new 37V/11Ah battery packs I connect them to a 55V/22Ah battery for more sane 50 km/h top speed and 70 km range.
At ‘only’ 40 km/h that range would increase to more than 100 km and when restricting top speed to around 25 km/h, range would increase further to around 200 km. 25 km/h is a nice speed for touring. Even better when able to speed up to 50 km/h as needed with a flick of a switch.
Right before my Bafang BPM2 bite the dust, I ordered a MXUS 1307 direct drive hub motor from Austrian ebike shop elfKW for a change. The MXUS 1307 is a 9Continent 2807 clone, I think.
Since the MXUS came laced in a 20″ rim and I had no spokes ready at hand to relace it in a new nice and sturdy Bellacoola 559 x 35 mm downhill rim, it went straight into the Sprint for a test. It didn’t took long to realise, the Sprint 26 with all around 20″ wheels handles way better around corners than my former 24″ front/26″ rear wheel setup. Shure, the 24″ front wheels are more comfortable and roll noticeably better, but corner handling still is a bit compromised. (more on that later)
Back to the hub motor. It is rated at 330 rpm at 37 volt. Thats about 30km/h in a 20″ wheel. Slightly to slow for my needs.
Paired with a 74 volt battery and 30A controller on the other hand, this 5.5kg hub produces quite impressive acceleration and 56km/h top speed in my Sprint. Fun!
Even more fun on gravel or wet tarmac when drifting around corners. Unfortunately, with the current 55 tooth chain ring, I’m running out of gears above 40km/h. After consulting Mike Sherman’s Online Gear Calculator and Grin Tech’s Ebike Simulator I ordered a 65 tooth chain ring.
Since my 20″ front wheel set with 70mm Sturmey Archer drum brakes is pretty much shot after serving for more than three years and running just shy of 20,000km in the Sprint, I have to get new 20″ front wheels. Remembering how much I liked the even more nimble handling of the Sprint with 24″ rear wheel I decided building a 20″ front/24″ rear wheel setup with extra wide rims.
I thought about disc brakes for a while but in the end choose nearly maintanance free 90mm Sturmey Archer drums again to be laced in shiny brushed 406 x 40 mm rims from Classic Cycle and a similar 507 x 40 mm rim for the MXUS. The brushed rims look impressive all by themself already and the drum brake hubs will fit very nicely to them, I think. The spokes should arrive in the next two days and on the weekend I’m wheelbuilding. (still haven’t finished the truing stand, though)